Attractions and Things To Do
South Tipperary County Museum
Tells the story of South Tipperary from prehistoric to modern times including a visual
exhibition on the Davin Boat. Open all year, Tue to Sat 10am-
Horse Riding -
Birds & Wildlife -
A. The Main Guard: This elegant 17th century building occupies a prominent position in Clonmel. It was built by James Butler 1st Duke of Ormonde between 1673 and 1684 as a prestigious courthouse for the Palatinate of Co. Tipperary. It was an assize court from 1716 until 1810, when it was converted to shops. It now houses the tourist office. T: (052) 61 22960
B. The Franciscan Friary: It was founded in 1269 by Otho de Grandison. The original church, built in 1269 has been altered several times, and the tower dating from the 14th century, is the only part of the old building which still survives.
C. Dowd’s Lane In 1935, William Magner founded a cider-
D. Town Hall: The Town Hall was built in the 17th century on the site of a private mansion, Hamerton Hall. Originally an inn, it was rebuilt as the Town Hall in 1881. Outside stands the statue of the ‘98 Man, erected in 1904 in memory of the men involved in the 1798 rebellion.
E. The Court House: The Court House was built around 1800 and replaced the Main Guard as the town’s court. Recent renovation has restored the Court House to its former glory.
F. The Quays: The Suir has played an important part in Clonmel’s history-
G. Hearns Hotel: Where Charles Bianconi established his coaching enterprise. In 1815 he started a one horse cart transport system between Clonmel and Cahir. By 1825 his carriages were covering 1870 miles a day and by 1857, 4,244 miles a day in 22 counties. His headquarters were in Hearns and he lived here himself from 1826 to 184 when he handed the building over to his friend and assistant, Daniel Hearn, who converted the stables and courtyard into a hotel.
H. Jail Gate: Formerly Clonmel had the following jails: O’Connell Street, Gladstone Street and Emmet Street. The Jail in Gladstone Street was built in the 1700’s and had 6 dungeons. Fr. Nicholas Sheehy was imprisoned there while awaiting trial in 1766. The Jail at Emmet Street was built at the end of the 18th century and had an average of 340 prisoners at any one time. Just outside the prison gates there was a pillory, a frame with holes for the unfortunate wrongdoer’s head and hands.
I. North East Tower: This is the remains of a circular tower at the junction of Emmet Street and Kickham Street. Similar towers were built into the tower walls as lookouts. This tower is preserved for posterity within the local cinema.
J. Short Street: It is thought that this is the position of the breach of the walls by Cromwell during the siege of Clonmel.
K. Old St. Mary’s Church: It is believed to have been built in 1204 by William De Burgo. In the late 14th/early 15th century, a fortified church was built on the site. There were extensive renovations in 1805 and a total rebuilding in 1857. Few traces of the original 13th century building remain. The main features which survive are the base of the bell tower and the east tower house.
L. Town Walls: The town walls were built in the 14th century under Otho de Grandison, the High Sheriff and first Lord of the Manor of Clonmel. The only remaining section of the walls is by Old St. Mary’s Church. This section was restored and renovated by the Corporation in 1980 and was railed off from the consecrated ground of the churchyard in 1987 to provide a walkway for the public.
M. Anne Street: Built in 1820. Charles Riall (1774 -
N. Friends Burial Grounds: First opened in 1709 on Albert Street to accommodate
burials of members of the religious Society of Friends -
O. Irishtown: In medieval and later times, this was the site of the dwellings of
the native Irish who were compelled to live outside the walls of the Anglo-
P. The West Gate: The present building stands on the site of the original West Gate and formed part of the defences of the town
Q. The White Memorial Theatre: This building was formerly a Wesleyan/Methodist Chapel. It was designed and built in 1843 by William Tinsley.
The Theatre commemorates James White, founder of St. Mary’s Choral Society.