Limerick Map and Tourist Information
The Hunt Museum
The Hunt Museum is another tourist gem in Limerick. It is housed in the restored Customs House which stands at the confluence of the Abbey River with the mighty Shannon. The building itself dates back to the mid eighteenth century and is one of Limerick’s most elegant public buildings.
The eclectic collection has something for everyone with objects from the Stone Age through to the twentieth century, including early Irish iron work, medieval statuary, ceramics, through to drawings by Giacometti and Picasso and paintings by Jack Butler Yeats, brother of the celebrated poet.
The basement Exhibition Gallery hosts a changing programme of temporary exhibitions with associated educational and activity programmes. The riverside café is a pleasant location to relax overlooking the river while the Gift Shop (helping to support the Museum) offers an attractive array of gift items including local crafts.
St. John's Cathedral
Limerick's Roman Catholic Cathedral is located near the hospital of the same name, just outside the old walls of the mediaeval Irishtown. It was designed by the English architect, Philip Charles Hardwick, in a neo-Gothic style and was inspired by Salisbury Cathedral in England. The foundation stone was laid on 5th May 1856 on St. John's Day and the first Mass was celebrated on 7th March 1859. The spire, however, was not completed until 1883 and now stands at 308 feet, not only the highest spire in Ireland but among the tallest in the world. Locally the spire was called the 'tower' and to be "born in the shadow of the tower" was something of local pride. The stone used in the building was quarried locally at the Garryowen quarries in what is now known as the Market's Field. Open Daily Year Round
The Georgian House & Garden
No. 2 Pery Square, Limerick. Tel: (061) 310130 Fax: (061) 301130
Is one of Limerick's many Georgian residences which has been meticulously restored and furnished to its original period by the Limerick Civic Trust. An authentic Georgian garden has been also faithfully recreated. No. 2 Pery Square is also available for civic and corporate events of all kinds and size. The suite of rooms on the ground floor and first floor can be adapted to suit all occasions up to around 100
people. Arrangements can be made by our staff to ensure that all events will be an outstanding success.
Ashes Exhibition - Situated in the old Coach House at the rear of No. 2 Pery Square and leading on to Limerick lane. "Making of the Ashes" following the process of filming Frank McCourt's Pulitzer Prize Winning novel "Angela's Ashes" in Limerick. "On the Trail of the Ashes" - see a life size reconstruction of the McCourt home and images of Limerick as the McCourts saw it. "A Memoir of Limerick - Rising from the Ashes" - evocative pictures of Limerick as it was then and is now. A visit is a must when in Limerick.
St. Mary's Cathedral
The oldest surviving building from Viking times, and still in use, St. Mary's Cathedral is one of Limericks most important historic buildings - it has been a house of prayer for over 830 years. Commissioned by Domhnall Mór O'Brien, King of Limerick, in 1168, who donated the site of the royal palace of the O'Briens for the purpose. The design and layout of the building was inspired by the Cistercian Order - "simple, austere and without decoration". Work was completed shortly before Domhnall Mór died in 1194. Of the original building, the west doorway, the nave and part of the aisles and transept survive. The chancel, chapels, tower windows and tombs date from subsequent times.
The Cathedral had not been greatly affected by the Reformation in the 16th century but it passed out of Catholic hands at that time. St. Marys is now the Church of Ireland (Anglican) Cathedral for the diocese of Limerick, Ardfert and Aghadoe (Limerick and Kerry).
A printed booklet is available - guided tours are also available and should be booked in advance. The Cathedral is open weekdays and visitors should be aware that normal church services are held which may restrict visitor access.
Limerick City Museum
The Limerick City Museum, originally located in John's Square, has been relocated in Castle Lane, beside King John's Castle. The museum houses an impressive collection of Material principally from the Limerick area, including examples of Limerick silver, from earliest times to the present day. The collection also includes "The Nail" which is mentioned elsewhere in connection with
The Exchange in Nicholas Street. Open Year Round. Tel: 061-417826
The Treaty Stone
The Treaty Stone stands across from King John's Castle on a site opposite St. Munchins Catholic Parish Church. The tradition is that the Treaty of Limerick, which followed the surrender of Limerick to the Williamite army led by the Dutch General Ginkel, was signed on this stone in October 1691 in the presence of the English and Irish armies. The stone stands on top of a granite pedestal erected in 1865 by John Richard Tinsley, Major of Limerick. The pedestal bears the city coat-of-arms and the city's motto.
King John's Castle
King John's Castle was built by King John of England, who had granted Limerick its charter in 1197 and ordered a castle built at Limerick near the river-crossing, and a fortified bridge erected to defend the city against the Gaelic clans to the north. Thomond Bridge, completed at the same time as the castle, led from the castle in the English Town to Thomondgate on the Clare side of the Shannon and was fortified at both ends, with a drawbridge at the Thomondgate side. The original structure collapsed in 1292 and was rebuilt. The present bridge was designed by James and George Pain and completed by 1840. In 1791, a military barracks was built within the castle for over 400 men of the English army: over the 18th and 19th century the castle was maintained for a military role which lasted down to 1921. During the 1991 three hundred year commemorations of the sieges of Limerick, a restoration project of the castle was completed and opened to the public as a major visitor attraction. Open Daily Year Round. Tel: 061-360788
The King John's Castle visitor complex consists of:
• The history of the Castle on two floors of a modern interpretive Centre 'The Heart of Limerick' exhibitions.
• Archaeological excavations beneath the centre, with evidence of earliest life in Limerick, including Viking house-sites.
• Reconstructed courtyard, with some ongoing excavations. Display of 16th century trades and traditions.
• The royal mint in the north-west tower
• Visitor theatre and audio-visual presentations
• Crafts and souvenir shopping
Limerick City on the River Shannon,the longest river in Ireland,is the gateway capital of the Shannon Region. Today the City stands at a confluence of six national primary roads through the mid-west region, at a major rail-head on the national rail network and within 20km of Shannon International Airport.
The Vikings founded Limerick as a colony on an island on the River Shannon, in the 9th century. The O'Briens, Kings of Thomond and Munster, made Limerick their royal seat. Then the Normans developed a mediaeval city of two walled towns, the English town and the Irish town, in the 13th and 14th centuries. A Georgian city replaced the old with the new in the 18th and 19th centuries and the 20th century saw Limerick emerging from a period of decline into a modern, cultured city.
Today Limerick has retained much of this historic past, with some interesting features in its mediaeval precinct of which St. Mary's Cathedral and King John's Castle are two major visitor attractions.
The city welcomes its visitors with an extensive range of attractions, museums and art galleries, shopping, entertainment, festivals and events, sports activities and much more beside. The city has rebuilt itself, specifically with major redevelopment along the river - a new modern city hall, riverside parks, night clubs and restaurants, hotels, The redeveloped Thomond Park ,home of the all conquering Munster Rugby Team,has been a major boost to both the sporting standing and the economic well being of the City and its surrounds”
Condor Publishers, Main Street, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan • Tel:+353 (0)42 9740776 • Fax: +353 (0)42 9740896 • Email: email@example.com
Limerick City Art Gallery