Condor Publishers, Main Street, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan • Tel:+353 (0)42 9740776 • Fax: +353 (0)42 9740896 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Loughrea Map and Tourist Information
WOODVILLE WALLED GARDEN - Kilchreest, Once home to Lady Gregory's brother Harry Persse. The walled garden features espaliered fruit trees, herbaceous borders with colour all year round, rose garden with fountain, dovecote, woodland trail and museum.
TOWN MOAT - A rare survival from Medieval times in the Town Moat, running from the lake at Fair Green to the Loughrea river beside the 'Walks' to the North of the town.
FORMER CATHOLIC CHAPEL - Now a funeral parlour, this chapel at the end of the 'Walks' was the parish church before St. Brendan's was built.
CRANNOGS - The remains of several Crannogs or artificial lake dwellings can be viewed from the rear of the Temperance Hall and along the North shore of the lake. They date from early Christian times.
CHURCH OF IRELAND - Located in Church Street on the site of the Medieval Parish Church. The building dates from the early 19th century and houses the Branch Library.
GARRYBREDA - The remains of an early Christian enclosure with a 15th century ruined Church.
THE WALKS - Along the line of the Moat to the North of the town a tree-lined walk confined to pedestrians was laid out in the late 18th century.
TEMPERANCE HALL - This building was an army barracks built in the later 18th century. It is now a social centre for the parish of Loughrea and has facilities for drama and sport.
CARMELITE MONASTERY - Founded by Richard de Burgo (for his soul's welfare) in 1300, is in an excellent state of preservation and impressive tombs, the graves of the old families of Loughrea. Adjacent to the ruin is the flourishing Carmelite Abbey now evidence of the devotion of the people of the district to the Carmelite Order which has survived through the centuries.
DIOCESAN MUSEUM - Located at the rear of the Presbytery and to the west of the Cathedral, includes the finest collection of alter plate in the country, containing many outstanding examples of the silversmith's craft, ranging in date from 1500 to 1800. There is also a collection of carved wooden figures from Medieval and early modern periods, including examples of both native and foreign origin. Artwork of Jack B and Lily & Loly Yeats on display.
ST. BRENDAN'S CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL - Designed by Byrne and Scott, is the glory of Loughrea. Its artistic interior owes much to the direction of Edward Martyn. Its beautiful stained glass windows inaugurated the era of Dublin stained glass art. The 'Last Judgement' and 'Ascension' by Healy are almost cataclysmic, while the works of Evie Hone, Sarah Purser, Childe and McGoldrick are truly beautiful. The statuary of Hughes and the fine sculptures of Shortfall are among their finest works.
TASTE MATTERS at Millennium House, Westbridge, Loughrea is a small bistro style restaurant serving delicious fresh food and wine in a casual friendly environment. Recommended by Ireland’s top food critic Paolo Tullio and placed first in County Galway on Tripadvisor, this place is a must when in the area.
THE LADY GREGORY YEATS TRAIL highlights attractions in the area and is well worth a trip.